Helping people with developmental disabilities
be valued and participating members
of their communities.
The HOPE Services Counseling Center, located in San Jose, provides professional counseling for both adults and children who have a development disability and a qualifying mental health diagnosis.
Adult and Older Adult Therapeutic Services
Adults and seniors, as well as their family members, can receive counseling, case management, and psychiatric services such as medication, family education, and related therapies. Specific interventions include the following:
- Counseling — Treatment may include psychotherapy, rehabilitation counseling, sand tray, cognitive behavior therapy, supportive therapy, behavior therapy, play therapy, and other modalities as necessary to assist the individual in controlling anxiety, depression or more severe disorders of mood and thinking. Individual and group sessions are available.
- Case Management Services — These services may involve assistance in linking the adult or older adult to other community services to improve the quality of life.
- Psychiatric Services — Assessment by a psychiatrist and medication, if warranted. Psychiatric technician and medication support services are also available to individuals and families.
- Behavioral Consultation and Plan Development — Parents and staff members of care homes that seek expert advice can use these services to learn about using effective reward systems to teach clients how to achieve success in their home and community settings.
- Behavioral Health-Management Groups — These groups assist clients with managing health behaviors to promote longevity and healthy living.
- Family Support and Education Coffee Klatches — Monthly meetings provide information and much-needed support to parents or significant others, including care workers who serve individuals with developmental disabilities who have mental health needs.
Child Counseling Services
These services focus on providing treatment for children, adolescents, and transitional youth age 21 and under who have a development disability and a qualifying mental health diagnosis. Comprehensive counseling interventions for children include individual and group therapy, case management, rehabilitation counseling, and psychiatric consultation with a family and child psychiatric physician. Individual consultation for parents is also available to better prepare them to help their children, teens, and transition age adolescents. Additional services are as follows:
- Therapeutic Behavioral Services (TBS) — TBS is available for children with extreme needs who have required hospitalization in the past couple of years. These children may qualify for intensive behavioral 1:1 treatment in the home, school, or community. Significant parental consultation may also be provided.
- Behavioral Life Coaching — Adolescents and transitional age young people on the autistic spectrum and others benefit from Behavioral Life Coaching, as it helps foster integration into the community and the development of skills leading to independence within the context of their diagnoses.
- Transitional Youth Program — Available in selected school districts; the program helps young people deal with emerging developmental and psychological issues post-high school. It fosters behavioral skill development for a smoother transition to community life.
- Behavioral Consultation — Parents, staff members of care homes, and workers from other agencies who seek expert advice can use these services to learn about using effective reward systems to teach young clients how to achieve success in their home and community settings.
- Family Support and Education Coffee Klatches — Monthly meetings provide information and much-needed support to parents or significant others, including care workers who serve children with developmental disabilities who have mental health needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I enroll in these services?
Please consult with your San Andreas Regional Center caseworker, or call the Santa Clara County Mental Health Department at 1.800.704.0900 for a referral.
Where is the Counseling Center located?
1555 Parkmoor Avenue
San Jose, CA 95128
How can I get more information?
For more information about Professional Counseling services for both children and adults, please contact our Counseling Center Director:
Susan Detrick, PhD